Re: Admission Control to the IETF 78 and IETF 79 Networks

2010-07-02 13:05:16
On 7/1/10 8:26 AM, Fred Baker wrote:
While it is new in IETF meetings, it is far from unusual in WiFi networks to
find some form of authentication. This happens at coffee shops, college
campuses, corporate campuses, and people's apartments. I think I would need
some more data before I concluded this was unreasonable.
Beijing is truly a big city. Some reports show China has more Internet users than North America, with other regions being a distant third. Isn't restricting access using a MAC address passé? Within these hundreds of millions of users, are popular intrusion tools, such those distributed on Ubuntu CDs being marketed as "Free Internet", that are able to quickly crack WEP, and even WPA. Brute force techniques for WPA2 might even utilize low cost online services of clustered video cores run against captured initial four-way handshakes which should discourage use of simple pass phrases.

A reasonable chance of keeping access away from this savvy population, will likely require enterprise WPA2. Otherwise, it might become popular during the event to use high-gain antennas to obtain uncensored access. Distribution of such content could prove embarrassing, especially when logs reveal it came over IETF networks.

-Doug