Re: [dispatch] VIPR - proposed charter version 3

2010-07-06 10:40:07
 On 7/6/10 10:00 AM, Peter Musgrave wrote:
Yeah. Sigh.

I guess the issue then becomes whether this is enough of a step in right direction that it can be built on - and whether it's worth the effort.

Cullen/Jonathan - can you speak to any of the operational issues w.r.t. 'failure surprise' in the existing implementation?

Well, to be clear, with voice communications, you don't end up with "random failure surprise". You end up with "random quality surprise". Some of your voice communications go over whatever codec your device uses for VoIP, which is probably a nice broadband codec. But some calls will randomly use the PSTN, with an 8 kHz sampling frequency and a notch-pass filter at 2600 Hz.

While that's kind of an unpleasant property, it's not enough to disqualify it from normal business use.

My point was that it's not a reasonable multimedia solution. If all you're looking for is feature parity with the PSTN, it's a passable solution, even if just barely.

/a