Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-08-02 10:05:54

On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

Dear Joel;

On Aug 1, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

In hallway discussion about this, it was suggested to me that part
of the problem is that some folks can not figure out how to
socialize their ideas.

I would say that if a BarBOF is organized independent of the IETF
process, it is not appropriate to measure it by the rules of the IETF
process.

If ideas are really preliminary, sitting down with 4-6 other folks
who are skilled and informed on the particular topic to discuss the
idea, and try to firm it up makes good sense.  The IETF is a very
good place to do that.  That is what the traditional Bar BoF was for.

The trouble I have with that is that I may not know who those people
are, and even if I do it is hard (in my experience) to find vacant
time slots to get those people together. (The IETF can be great for
meeting and spending some time with people you don't know, simply
because you are in the restaurant / bar / social together, but we all
know it can be very hard to arrange time to meet with a specific set
of people.) To get even 5 people together, it is frequently necessary
to resort to a doodle poll, and that means a certain amount of
organization.

In the case of the 2 BarBOFS I organized at IETF-78, in both cases
there were very useful contributions made by  people I didn't know and
therefore wouldn't have invited. Even if the efforts fail (and one of
them was DOA and will not move forward), I am glad to have had the
opportunity to get to know more people in an area of interest to me.

And that is why I think that these meetings would have been better served if
presented as a presentation, rather than a bar BoF.

Suppose we had a list of "non-WG presentations" with a listing like this

Title: Tunneling IPSec over HTTP using XML
Presenter: Marshall Eubanks
Draft:  draft-eubanks-ipsec-bloated-transport
Abstract:
For years now http has not enjoyed the benefits of XML. We are now about to
change all that. No longer will IPsec be constrained to efficient formats.