Re: Why not use on-line tool to track each working group's attendees?

2010-08-06 11:48:30
Hi,

On Aug 6, 2010, at 4:36 AM, Ed Juskevicius wrote:
IEEE802 uses formal voting (during its meetings) to determine issues and to
accept proposals (or motions) to add or delete text from documents that are
being developed.
The IETF WG process is very different from IEEE802, and that (for me) is
reason enough to suggest that a system built for the IEEE802 may not be
appropriate for IETF.  There are lots of other reasons too ...

OK, but the fact that our processes are different doesn't necessarily mean
moving to online tools is a bad idea, right?

Off the top of my head, I can see a couple of positives:
- Online tools would allow folks who are participating remotely to indicate
'presence' at a working group meeting.
- Simplify the administrative burden of collecting and keeping the blue sheets
- Allow for easier analysis of working group attendance

And negatives:
- Allow for easier analysis of working group attendance
- Requires somebody to develop/maintain the tools
- Requires everyone have some device (laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc) that
allows them to access the online tools (how does IEEE get around this?)
- Might not meet the requirements (e.g., legal) the blue sheet currently fill

I'm on the fence...

Regards,
-drc