Re: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

2010-09-08 15:22:58
That's the point I've been trying to make. If you read the AT&T letter in context, as a response to the Free Press letter that was completely bizarre, you'll conclude that the AT&T letter was fundamentally accurate. So the decision by the ISOC press relations people and the ISOC policy people to use Russ as a propaganda weapon against the corrective remarks from AT&T was simply twisted.

If ISOC is going to trot Russ out to the press every time somebody files a comment with the FCC they don't like, he's going to be pretty busy. If he's only going to be used against the most egregious uses of IETF's name, he should have been used against the Free Press letter that started this whole fiasco. By attacking AT&T and giving Free Press a pass, ISOC chose to take sides. I think it's wrong for IETF to do that, regardless of what the shiny little poli sci majors who do policy for ISOC may think.

Read the Free Press letter here: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7020652588

And contrary to the claims of some people, I'm not being paid by anyone to engage in this discussion, it's something I've chosen to do as a member of the IETF community who thinks the actions taken by ISOC in this matter are harmful to the Internet.

RB