Why require EKU for certid?

2010-09-22 11:45:28
At 10:21 AM -0600 9/22/10, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
On 9/14/10 12:51 AM, Stefan Santesson wrote:
General:
I would consider stating that server certificates according to this profile
either MUST or SHOULD have the serverAuth EKU set since it is allways
related to the use of TSL and server authentication. At least it MUST be set
when allowing checks of the CN-ID (see 2.3 below).

Jeff and I are still discussing this topic and do not yet have editorial
agreement about how to proceed.

This is not editorial, this is definitely technical. What possible advantage is
there to making certificates that do not have this flag set be excluded from
the practices you are defining? That is, if a TLS client gets a certificate
from a TLS server that the TLS server says is its authentication certificate,
why should the client care whether or not that flag is set? That flag is an
assertion from the CA, not from the server who is authenticating.

2.3
It would be good if we could restrict the use of CN-ID for storing a domain
name to the case when the serverAuth EKU is set. Requiring the EKU reduce
the probability that the CN-ID appears to be a domain name by accident or is
a domain name in the wrong context.

That makes no sense from an operational standpoint. The inclusion of an EKU has
nothing to do with the decision-making for the domain name location.

In many deployments, this also affects the name constraints processing to
perform domain name constraints also on the CN attribute.

True, and irrelevant.

There should at least be a rule stating that any client that accepts the CN
attribute to carry the domain name MUST also perform name constraints on
this attribute using the domain name logic if name constraints is applied to
the path. Failing this requirement poses a security threat if the claimed
domain name in CN-ID violated the name constraints set for domain names.

Fully disagree.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium