Re: Why require EKU for certid?

2010-09-22 12:59:19
On 9/22/10 10:44 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
At 10:21 AM -0600 9/22/10, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
On 9/14/10 12:51 AM, Stefan Santesson wrote:
General: I would consider stating that server certificates
according to this profile either MUST or SHOULD have the
serverAuth EKU set since it is allways related to the use of TSL
and server authentication. At least it MUST be set when allowing
checks of the CN-ID (see 2.3 below).

Jeff and I are still discussing this topic and do not yet have
editorial agreement about how to proceed.

This is not editorial, this is definitely technical.

Sorry, by "editorial agreement" I meant consensus between the document
editors about how we think it's best to address the issue that Stefan
raised. Jeff and I have discussed many of the issues that have been
raised, but haven't yet had a chance to discuss this one.

What possible
advantage is there to making certificates that do not have this flag
set be excluded from the practices you are defining? That is, if a
TLS client gets a certificate from a TLS server that the TLS server
says is its authentication certificate, why should the client care
whether or not that flag is set? That flag is an assertion from the
CA, not from the server who is authenticating.

2.3 It would be good if we could restrict the use of CN-ID for
storing a domain name to the case when the serverAuth EKU is set.
Requiring the EKU reduce the probability that the CN-ID appears
to be a domain name by accident or is a domain name in the wrong
context.

That makes no sense from an operational standpoint. The inclusion of
an EKU has nothing to do with the decision-making for the domain name
location.

In many deployments, this also affects the name constraints
processing to perform domain name constraints also on the CN
attribute.

True, and irrelevant.

There should at least be a rule stating that any client that
accepts the CN attribute to carry the domain name MUST also
perform name constraints on this attribute using the domain name
logic if name constraints is applied to the path. Failing this
requirement poses a security threat if the claimed domain name in
CN-ID violated the name constraints set for domain names.

Fully disagree.

Thanks for your input. Our little editors team will take your comments
under advisement during our discussion of this open issue. :)

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/