Re: draft-iab-dns-applications - clarification re: Send-N

2010-10-20 16:20:31

On Oct 20, 2010, at 10:47 PM, Richard Shockey wrote:

I personally find section 5.1 unusually amusing as if now the IAB wants to
say split-DNS "should be considered harmful". Leakage in to the public DNS
.. geez really. Like what where are the examples of the harm? So who put
ringtones in the DNS :-)

I am trying to understand where there are misunderstandings and differences in
insight. And I think you might have read 5.1 different than intended:

It is not trying to speak about  data that is leaked from "internal" to
"public" DNS installs. But it tries to make a more generic point that solutions
that are engineered for environments that are supposed to be closed will leak
to the public Internet. With that comes a responsibility to design those
solutions and protocols in such a way that they will have the appropriate
security, privacy, and scalability properties.

?

--Olaf
 (speaking for myself)

                                       Science Park 140,