Re: draft-iab-dns-applications - clarification re: Send-N

2010-10-20 16:06:40
Bill,

On Oct 20, 2010, at 1:58 PM, bill manning wrote:
      right... but only rarely in the DNS world do edge nodes actually go hit
      the authoritative sources.  much/most of the time they hit a cache,
often
      one run by a random third party.

I would truly love to see the data you have that backs this up.  Pointers?
(Note that this is not rhetorical -- I'm doing some work right now in which
this info would be quite helpful).

      oh... leakage into the public DNS means that the root nameservers have
to be
      over-provisioned by a couple orders of magnitude to deal with the crap
that should
      be in private space but leaked out and can't be resolved.

I thought the (vast) over-provisioning of the root servers was to cope with
DDoS attacks.

Regards,
-drc