Re: [Full-disclosure] IPv6 security myths

2010-10-30 22:12:31
I would be quite curious to know your definition of failure, given that
IPsec is currently deployed, and working in "more than a few" deployments

On a possibly related note, IPv6 use deployed and working too ...

/TJ
On Oct 27, 2010 12:08 PM, "Masataka Ohta"
<mohta(_at_)necom830(_dot_)hpcl(_dot_)titech(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp>
wrote:
Steven Bellovin wrote:

The core issue was indeed that IPsec was mandated for v6. We
were *very* overoptimistic about how long it would take before
roll-out started in earnest. In fact, we underestimated how
long it would take to get good specs for all the important
pieces. We also underestimated how long IPsec would take,
though that was partially (but only partially) because IPsec
version 1 (RFCs 1825-1829) had to be thrown away.

Quite simply, it is merely that IPsec had totally failed long
before IPv6 totally failed.

FYI, total failure of IPsec is not the only reason of total
failure of IPv6.

Masataka Ohta