Re: Publishing list of non-paying IETF attendees, was Re: [IAOC] Badges and blue sheets

2010-11-12 08:29:16
Perhaps we should follow the example of Oxford and Cambridge and make them
sit at a different table and do menial tasks for the Gentlemen students.

Oh wait, they abolished that in the 19th Century.

The IETF business model certainly has problems, but the proportion of
attendees paying for meetings is not one of them. The problem with a
business model based on conference fees is that conferences are cyclic.

If I was running ICANN I would observe that my organization directs a vast
cash flow but a very narrow political constituency. I would therefore look
to funnel some of that cash flow into organizations that can enhance my
political position.