Re: I-D Action:draft-white-tsvwg-netblt-00.txt

2011-01-08 10:34:01
08.01.2011 18:24, Lixia Zhang wrote:

On Jan 8, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:

08.01.2011 17:37, Lixia Zhang wrote:
I am not sure why this rush to get a new internet draft out, without consultation to any of its original authors, and given the rough consensus on ietf mailing list discussion is to keep NETBLT RFC as is (experimental).

First of all, I've consulted the initial author of it, John White, and some other people off-list.

With all the respect to John, he is not among the original authors of NETBLT RFC.
I thought you meant the draft. How can we contact them if we do not have any point of contact in the RFC?
Wonder if you can tell me who are the other people that you contacted?
Why are you so interested in it? What benefit would you have if you get known that?

The NETBLT spec found in RFC998 *as is* could not be appropriate for current Internet,

It was not meant to. It's for discussion and comment.
And what you cited is a comment.

As I already quoted this in my earlier msg: RFC998 stated clearly that

   This document is published for discussion and comment, and does not
   constitute a standard.  The proposal may change and certain parts of
   the protocol have not yet been specified; implementation of this
   document is therefore not advised.

so there is a need for another one. In the next 3 months, I think, we will be a work on it. Moreover, we plan to submit it as Independent Submission as Experimental RFC, despites it mentions the Standards Track one.

Mykyta

I am confused here:
in your message posted on Jan 7 (2 days ago),
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg65041.html
you said

    As for NETBLT, I am strongly against moving it to Historic, rather
    than specifying by Standards Track Document. There has been one
    attempt to do that by John White in 1995 (see
    draft-white-protocol-stack), but IMO (that likes strange, but...)
    we can align this document with the most current needs of Internet
    and publish.

    Mykyta

but now you changed your mind?
Not, I have not. If that was, I wouldn't publish the draft-white-tsvwg-netblt. I desired to move the IRTP to Historic only rather that other protocols I mentioned.

Lixia

Lixia