Re: Use of "unassigned" in IANA registries

2011-01-17 11:53:37
Dear all,

The isues discussed here is the use of unassigned values in IANA registries. And I really agree with the authors of RFC5226 that sets MUST criterion for mentioning these values. Not mentioning them will lead to misunderstanding by IANA and other people whether the values are available for assignment, reserved or not used et al. So I think that there is just no need to discuss what is clearly set by the document.

All the best,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev

17.01.2011 1:23, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com <mailto:iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    On 14 jan 2011, at 23:06, Martin Rex wrote:

    > Frankly, I'm actually more concerned about code assignments for
    > severely IPR-impaired algorithms (e.g. Elliptic Curve related)
    > than about GOST.  (Admittedly, the GOST 34.10-2001 signature
    > algorithm appears to use Elliptic curve math, and it's entirely
    > unclear to me whether and how existing EC-related IPR claims might
    > apply.)

    Withholding registration just means that people are going to pick
    an unregistered number with all the problems that that entails. In
    cases where there are no scarcity issues registration should
    happen as long as there is a reasonable expectation of
    non-negligible use, regardless of whether the registered protocol
    is endorsed by the IETF (whatever that means) or IANA.

+1

If people think that IANA is a tool they can use to impose their own personal political agenda on the Internet, they are mistaken.

Here we have a proposal to enforce a particular royalty free agenda. Some Internet users might support such an agenda but most don't even understand what the argument would be about.

It is very easy to accept the idea of someone imposing a political agenda you agree with. But what if the agenda turned out to be something else? What happens if the representation from authoritarian leaning countries increases and there is a group of people who agree on the need to fight 'information terrorism' as defined in the SCO treaty.

All that is necessary to keep the Internet open is to prevent any party from gaining control.

And the best way to prevent that is to ensure that there is no control point.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/