Re: Last Call on draft-ietf-pim-registry-03.txt

2011-01-14 19:31:21
Hello all,

Summarizing all LC comments received so far, I'd like to propose the author of draft-ietf-pim-registry-03.txt the following changes to his document:

1. Abstract

Explain the abbreviations.

2. Introduction

Explain the abbreviations.

3. Add a new section directly after Introduction named '2. Registry Description' with the following content:

  2.1. The Name of the Registry

The name of created registry is 'Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Message Types'.

2.2. The Format of the Registry

   The 'Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Message Types' registry
   consists of 3 values: Packet Type, Description and Reference. They
   are described below:

     Packet Type - an integer; values form 0 to 15 are assigned.

     Description - a brief decryption of packet type.

     Reference - the reference document, that defines the packet type.

2.3. Registration Procedures

   New assignments to 'Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Message Types'
   registry SHALL be made following the 'IETF Consensus' policies.
   [RFC5226]

2.4. The Initial Contents of the Registry

This section contains the initial contents of the 'Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)
 Message Types' registry.

  +---------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
   |  Type  | Description                         | Reference         |
   +--------+-------------------------------------+-------------------+
   |0       | Hello                               |[RFC3973] [RFC4601]|
   |1       | Register                            |[RFC4601]          |
   |2       | Register Stop                       |[RFC4601]          |
   |3       | Join/Prune                          |[RFC3973] [RFC4601]|
   |4       | Bootstrap                           |[RFC4601]          |
   |5       | Assert                              |[RFC3973] [RFC4601]|
   |6       | Graft                               |[RFC3973]          |
   |7       | Graft-Ack                           |[RFC3973]          |
   |8       | Candidate RP Advertisement          |[RFC4601]          |
   |9       | State Refresh                       |[RFC3973]          |
   |10      | DF Election                         |[RFC5015]          |
   |11-14   | Unassigned                          |this document      |
   |15      | Reserved                            |this document      |
   +--------+-------------------------------------+-------------------+

2.5. Sub-Registries

No sub-registries are currently defined in 'Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)
 Message Types' registry.

4. Security Consideration: renumber

5. IANA Considerations: renumber, modify in the following way:

IANA is asked to create the Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)
 Message Types' registry following Section 2 of this document.

6. Other sections: renumber.

I suppose the author will accept my proposal that makes the registry description more clear.

All the best,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev