RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sipcore-199-05.txt> (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Response Code for Indication of Terminated Dialog) to Proposed Standard

2011-02-08 01:05:16

Cullen,

When we last talked, you said that your main is the fact that unreliable
solved, so I am very surprised by your comments.

Also, the draft WAS back in the WG when the proposed solution was presented.
Why didn't you say anything then????

Regarding the usage, I have been provided text (mostly by Robert) regarding the
usability, limitations etc. Why haven't you said anything before if you didn't
like it????

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Cullen Jennings
Sent: 7. helmikuuta 2011 20:45
To: IESG IESG; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org IETF
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sipcore-199-05.txt>
(Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Response Code for
Indication of Terminated Dialog) to Proposed Standard

I was somewhat surprised to see this back in LC. I am still
not aware of any use case where this actually helps. I
searched the IETF and WG lists for email with the subject
draft-ietf-sipcore-199 and I do not see a single email that
suggests there is support for this draft or the changes in it
since the previous LC.

This draft has no use that I understand how it helps - it is
at best a very limited optimization. The SIP standards is
already too complicated with too many extensions. I believe
this draft makes SIP worse.Thought the draft mandates that
systems need to work even when the 199 are lost, I do not
think that is how the proponents of the work intent to use. I
could be very wrong but I presume that people intent to use
to control middle boxes that control media gates. It's broken
for that but given that is not discussed in the draft, it's
hard to discuss how it is broken and what would be needed to fix it.

I do not support publishing this draft as standards track
without actual WG discussion on what the problem is this
draft solves and if there is WG consensus that problem is
worth solving.