Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues-02.txt> (Issues with IP Address Sharing) to Informational RFC

2011-02-16 08:23:53
Richard L. Barnes wrote:

As you are assuming physical identity of DHCP clients are known
reliably (I don't know how it can be done), it is a lot easier
for DHCP servers to assign static IP addresses to the clients
based on the physical identity information than assigning random
addresses and map them later through complicated database look up.

As an example, consider a system we built for the IETF meeting
network a few years ago.  The server queried a series of
tables inside of NetDisco to map an IP address to the WiFi AP
that it was connected to:
IP address -->  MAC address -->  Connected AP

As the MAC addresses are NOT reliable, it is a lot more straight
forward to directly map between IP addresses and APs.

Since the locations of the APs are known, this gives you the
location of the endpoint to within a few tens of meters
(empirically, within the IETF network).

Directional antenna makes it imprecise.

Is it a use case in the real world?

The US FCC thinks so:
<http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2011/pdf/2011-565.pdf>

Could you quote the relevant part of the lengthy document?

                                                Masataka Ohta