RE: World IPv6 Day and Us

2011-02-16 08:46:59
On 2011-2-15, at 19:45, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
Noting the increasing length of the list
athttp://isoc.org/wp/worldipv6day/participants/

...I mostly note that I see very few eyeball ISPs on that list (with the
notable exception of two large US cable ISPs - great, guys!)

Turning on IPv6 on the content provider side is great and all, but without
the eyeballs on IPv6, I wonder a bit about the point of this exercise.

The point is that eventually, someone will notice that the IETF is lobbying
hard for IPv6 as the necessary next step for the Internet, but that the IETF
doesn't actually use IPv6 in its own infrastructure, and we are greatly
embarrassed.

It would be like lobbying regarding global warming while owning 500 coal-fired
power plants.  It doesn't make what you *say* wrong, but it looks very, very
bad.  It suggests that despite our advocacy of IPv6 there is some great
difficulty to going to IPv6 that we are not admitting.

Dale