RE: My comments to the press about OAM for MPLS

2011-03-07 11:52:38
Hi,
So far We did not see any justification for two competing solutions for
OAM in MPLS-TP. We also did not see what is really missing in the IETF
solution and why if something is missing it cannot be resolved in the
context of a single solution. IT is not clear why alternative solution
is needed. If enhancement is needed, I am sure the IETF would be happy
to enhance the solution.
There is no justification to confuse the industry with two competing
solutions that are defined in two different organizations and may evolve
in different and inconsistent way and will not allow two MPLS
implementations (ITU and IETF) to co-exist in the same network.
What is clear is that unfortunately this is NOT a technical discussion!
The industry blessed the agreement between the ITU-T and the IETF and
considered it as such a good opportunity for the Industry, incorporating
together the expertise of both ITU and IETF organizations, avoiding
duplication and inconsistencies.
The determination of an alternative solution in the ITU-T for OAM is in
contrary to the collaborative agreement between the ITU-T and the IETF.
The IETF solution is progressing. The solution will satisfy the
transport requirements as were defined together with the ITU-T. Complete
interoperability and architectural soundness with MPLS/GMPLS will be
guaranteed.
The ITU-T SG15 OAM solution will enter the Consultation period where
only Governments can respond. The document must be unopposed! The future
of the document is uncertain and the process can be very long!
Instead of putting so much energy in this political arguments and in the
attempt to fragment the Industry, we could positively work together to
ensure that the solution we define fully and appropriately satisfies the
requirements. It is really a pity!
Best regards,
Nurit