Re: IETF and APIs

2011-03-29 07:14:26
On Tue Mar 29 12:28:55 2011, Eric Burger wrote:
Would we not be better off just asking (mandating?) at least one open source implementation? That effort would produce a de facto API.

Unfortunately this doesn't work in practise.

One of the examples that Sam raised originally concerned TLS, and that has (at least) three different open-source implementations in library form, all with fairly different APIs.

Some effort has been made to provide basic functionality in some libraries using an OpenSSL compatible layer, but given OpenSSL's API is only sparingly documented, I'm not sure of the utility.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net