Re: [IAB] IETF and APIs

2011-03-30 06:15:04
Specifying the service interface a protocol provides (and what it requires from other protocols) is often very useful. And is something we have done in many cases. Writing a set of subroutine definitions in some specific language is, in my experience, usually far less useful.

As a related note, a program is not a protocol spec, and a protocol spec is not an implementation design document. They serve different purposes and should not be conflated.

Yours,
Joel