Re: IETF and APIs

2011-03-29 16:00:53
Sam,

Thanks for your comments about APIs.  I have already had a very vibrant
debate with some folks about this in another context.  I would simply
suggest here that the IETF has mixed success with APIs, especially
abstract APIs, and that while I wouldn't object to us "going there",
given that we've "been there", I would ask that we wade carefully
further into this space deliberately, recognizing what has worked, and
what has not.  The hardest part of this exercise, I'm afraid, will be on
agreeing which fit which category.  Also, it may not be appropriate to
develop APIs in all cases.  Documenting dome understanding of when that
effort likely to succeed would be VERY useful.

Regards,

Eliot