Re: Review of: draft-iab-dns-applications-01

2011-04-22 14:34:22
FWIW, in general I think the document is good, and I am not a person that get
hang up much things... Other people are much better on giving such comments ;-)

But, I think there is one section that should have an addition, of possible
change, end of section 4:

   In cases where applications require these sorts of features, they are
   simply better instantiated by independent application-layer protocols
   than the DNS.  The query-response semantics of the DNS are easily
   replicated by HTTP, for example, and the objects which HTTP can carry
   both in queries and responses can easily contain the necessary
   structure to manage compound queries.  Similarly, HTTP has numerous
   ways to provide the necessary authentication, authorization and
   confidentiality properties that some features require.

   Where the administrative delegations of the DNS form a necessary
   component in the instantiation of an application feature, there are
   various ways that the DNS can bootstrap access to an independent
   application-layer protocol better suited to field the queries in
   question.  For example, since NAPTR records can contain URIs, those
   URI can point to an external query-response service such as HTTP,
   with a NAPTR service field that signal to applications that questions
   of interest can be answered at that service.

FWIW, I went through (together with Olaf) a registration process of the URI
Resource Record Type that would help solving exactly this problem. To be a tool
in between SRV and NAPTR, where a prefix on an owner do sub selection of
records (like SRV, instead of inside RDATA like NAPTR), and the RDATA is
ordered set of URIs (instead of more complicated NAPTR RDATA structure that
require rewrite rules in the DDDS), and be more structured that storing URIs in
TXT records.

URI is registered as RR TYPE 256 since a while back (not too long though).

So, let me suggest the last sentence is changed to the following (because I
think referencing a NAPTR and because of the requirement of defining a DDDS,
when in reality the only thing one want is OWNER -> URI mapping):

For example, since URI records can contain URIs, those
URIs can point to an external query-response service such as HTTP,
where the prefix of the URI is used by the applications to select
the RR SET, and because of the HTTP based services, that is of interest.

   Patrik