RE: How to pay $47 for a copy of RFC 793

2011-05-11 07:28:09

This reminds me of what a colleague once said about government-run lotteries:
"A tax on people who are bad at math".
In this case the fools don't seem to be throwing all that many dollars away
(at least not per document).

What worries me is what they intend doing with the copy of RFC 793.

If some rule requires taking all references and placing them in a booklet that
no-one looks at,
then it is OK for them to pay reasonable copying and distribution costs to
someone willing to print the RFC for them.

However, what if they send the RFC to some programmer who has never heard of
TCP/IP
and ask him to implement solely based on this referenced document ?

In that case the costs may be somewhat larger ...

Y(J)S