Re: How to pay $47 for a copy of RFC 793

2011-05-10 18:45:16
It is a lot more time (and money) saving to search free
versions before entering transactions to purchase them than
to rely blindly on PubMed, IEEE, ACM, google scholar etc.

So?

I expect that most people who use those databases have site
licenses, so they don't care whether the articles are nominally
free or not.

When I need to do database searches, I go to the Cornell engineering
library where I can get (quite legally) onto Cornell's network and use
their institutional subscriptions.  If I find something interesting, I
click on it and download it, and have no idea whether it would have
asked a non-subscriber to pay or not.

I'm more worried that the ACM doesn't have any RFCs issued in the past
seven years than that they ask non-subscribers to pay for the ones
they do have.

R's,
John