Re: How to pay $47 for a copy of RFC 793

2011-05-11 14:10:15
* Bob Braden:

Now, it has always been IETF's (and even before there was an IETF,
Jon Postel's) policy to allow people to sell RFCs. What astonishes
me is that clever people in the IEEE don't know RFCs are available
free online. I guess RFCs remain so counter-cultural that industrial
types don't get it. I wonder how many other IEEE standards contain
similar RFC-for-pay references..

A lot of the stuff IEEE publishes for a fee is freely and legally
available from other sources (without the official IEEE imprint, of
course).  IEEE performs extensive search engine optimization (aka
Google spamming) to get their for-pay content rated over the free
content.  I suppose this is required because otherwise, library access
statistics would plummet and libraries would cancel their
subscriptions. *sigh*

(Same for ACM, Springer, and so one, of course.)