Re: How to pay $47 for a copy of RFC 793

2011-05-12 12:26:42
John,

The main difference is also familiar: the IETF wants to limit
reproduction permission for published versions (presumably to
continue to make money on them to offset other expenses) while
we permit unlimited distribution and reproduction without
special permission as long as the documents are intact or meet
specific other criteria.

Did you mean to say IEEE above?

Bob

A second difference is that we've
never asked folks to go find online versions of I-Ds and update
them to point explicitly to the successor RFCs.  I have no idea
how one actually does that or enforces it but, in principle, it
is an idea we might actually find it beneficial to consider.
Finally, the IEEE insists on formal copyright transfer at a
well-defined point (and, as far as I know, always has).  "We"
don't think we need that.

best,
  john