Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-enhanced-dsmap-09

2011-05-26 21:11:34
* Doug Barton wrote:
IMO one should always expand acronyms the first time they are used. It
adds clarity to the text for new readers, and even for old hands it's
sometimes necessary to disambiguate recycled TLAs.

Some read such suggestions as indicating they should make paragraph-long
titles. <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-editor/tutorial.latest.pdf>:

  Title

    * Should be thoughtfully chosen

    * No un-expanded abbreviations, except for very well known ones
      (e.g., IP, TCP, HTTP, MIME, MPLS)

    * We like short, snappy titles, but sometimes we get titles like:

        "An alternative to XML Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP)
         for manipulating resource lists and authorization lists,
         Using HTTP extensions for Distributed Authoring and
         Versioning (DAV)"

    * Choose a good abbreviated title for the running header

    * "WebDAV Alternative to XCAP"

They should not do that.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern(_at_)hoehrmann(_dot_)de ·
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de