Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt> (Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status) to Informational RFC

2011-06-10 12:44:17

"Lorenzo" == Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo(_at_)google(_dot_)com> writes:
    >> Why are you trying to make life harder for developers of IPv6
    >> applications?  There's no reason at all that an application
    >> developer should have to set up a special-purpose network just to
    >> test an IPv6 application.
    >>

    Lorenzo> No, we're trying to make their lives easier, by suggesting
    Lorenzo> they use something that actually *works*.

    >> Realistic testing of applications needs to be done on real
    >> networks, or a least an approximation to real networks.  Testing
    >> IPv6 using 6to4 over public IPv4 obviously isn't perfect, but
    >> it's a hell of a lot more realistic than setting up a lab network
    >> and confining one's testing to that.

    Lorenzo> So use a tunnel broker.

My tunnel broker has a machine with broken IPv4 routing, which they
can't fix.   It's been down for a week+ now.   We had to renumber that
location in time for World IPv6 day.  We only had 6 machines that were
using their non-autoconfigured addresses, so the rest was just a s///g
in the DNS zone file.

6to4 would have turned this into my problem (which I could have fixed),
but since some places like google refuse to run their own 6to4 relay, I
can't really use 6to4 to talk to.  Thanks.

This all reminds of how killing the mbone killed multicast.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.