Re: Getting to Quebec City

2011-06-17 20:32:17
On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 12:08:52AM -0000, John Levine wrote:

By train: there are four trains a day from Montreal to Quebec.
Although there is a train station in Dorval, close to the airport, it
doesn't have any through trains to Quebec so it's easier to go
downtown.

Note that if you plan to use Via Rail, you should treat the train
timetables as rough guidelines rather than something on which to rely.
The train usually does not run exactly on time, although the
timetables might be close enough for IETF arrival purposes.  But
worse, there are occasional equipment failures that make things fail
in big ways.  Via runs on tracks shared with (and owned by) the
freight lines, so if Via has an equipment failure that causes them a
delay, they can miss a window completely.  I have arrived over 4 hours
late on a trip that should not have taken 4 hours total.

One history of Canada suggests that we were only stitched together in
order to enable the CPR to be built.  Now we can barely run trains.
Sir Sanford Fleming must be unhappy.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com