RE: [ftpext] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ftpext2-hosts-02.txt> (File Transfer Protocol HOST Command for Virtual Hosts) to Proposed Standard

2011-06-29 11:36:14
Thanks, Paul.

I believe that I have addressed all of your comments with the following actions:

--------------------
Section 3:
--------------------

Surely the first SHOULD has to be a MUST.
Otherwise we have a situation where, upon
receipt of a valid HOST, some server
implementations will implicitly REIN and
clear AUTH/USER/ACCT and some will not.

Agreed - I changed that verbiage.

--------------------
Section 3.2:
--------------------

I suggest that either the "wrapper" concept is
dropped from the document altogether...

I removed that verbiage. (That was detail for a possible server implementation
anyway.)

--------------------
Section 3.2.2:
--------------------

should be "to negotiate the security mechanism
and relevant authentication token(s)"

I changed that as well.

--------------------
Section 4
--------------------

The "strong method of encryption" is a bit
vague. I don't think we can publish this
paragraph without being more explicit about
what this really means.

I removed that paragraph. By way of explanation, this was in reference a server
implementation detail that in hindsight probably shouldn't be in this document.
More specifically, some FTP servers and clients support Implicit FTPS, but that
is not defined by RFC and lately considered deprecated, so it's best to just
remove that information.

I repeat my initial point - this has to be a MUST.

Agreed - I changed that verbiage.

I would like some mention of the linkage
between the identity returned in an X.509
certificate and the parameter to the HOST
command at the protocol specification level.

I have attached a new version of the draft that contains suggested wording for
this request, with all of the other changes that I have addressed as well.

Thanks!

Robert