Re: Another look at 6to4 (and other IPv6 transition issues)

2011-07-15 14:18:06

On Jul 15, 2011, at 11:52 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Friday, July 15, 2011 09:40 -0700 Joel Jaeggli
<joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> wrote:

So the rational for the advice document not being combined
with the standards action in it is that the later has some
polarizing impact, the advice document does not. the advice
document is through and done, historic is not.

Joel (and others),

I understand the rationale.  At the risk of repeating myself, I
simply do not think it works or is appropriate.

And there are people that disagree with you on that.

 Recategorizing
set of documents as "Historic" is an extremely blunt instrument.
If we do it in a consistent and logical fashion, the advice
document would have to go to Historic along with the base
documents because giving advice about a piece of ancient history
is meaningless.  That is not what most people who like the
advice document intended, at least as I understood the consensus
on that Last Call.

<SNIP>

Finally, if we had a wonderful transition model that would work
well in all situations, then it would make sense to recommend it
and depreciate everything else.

You missed the boat about a decade back I guess. Transition technologies (none
of them) are a substitute for actual deployment. They should naturally decline
in popularity and in fact in the portions of the internet where we can measure
them they are. Right now if we try and fit a story to the evidence that is
happening because of host changes, and  not because of deployment. ipv4 is
becoming less usable and it's taking autotunnels with it, nobody here has a
proposal that changes that.

  We don't.  What we have are a
bunch of mechanisms, each with advantages and disadvantages,
some much better adapted to particular situations than others.
It would be easier if we had a good single solution, but we
don't... that is life, or at least engineering.  Given that, we
serve the community much better with analyses and explanations
of tradeoffs (and RFC 6180 is, IMO, a really good start) than we
do by going through exercises of figuring out what to denounce.
IMO, the _only_ thing we should be categorically denouncing are
tactics and strategies that encourage people to put off getting
serious about IPv6.  Unfortunately, trying to slap a "Historic"
label on one particular transition strategy, or to rank
transition strategies that have proven useful to some actors on
the basis of how much various of us loathe them, are about
denunciation and, however unintentionally, with the risk of
encouraging people to sit and wait, not about progress or
network engineering.

back to lurking...
   john