Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

2011-07-21 16:54:27
On Thu Jul 21 18:33:38 2011, Willy Tarreau wrote:
If someone were to develop a backup/restore solution based on WS, it would be funny to discover that it cannot be used to restore the DNS server when
this one fails...

If SRV (with a fallback) is defined as part of the core spec, this usage would use the fallback.

However in my opinion it could be good to document a recommended DNS
architecture for WS, that is judged optimal and the most interoperable. This could clearly be a separate RFC suggesting how clients and server
can make use of DNS SRV records for HA and LB.

Okay, a thought experiment for you.

Let's assume we go ahead with dumb A/AAAA lookups.

How will it be possible for a server to later inform browser it wishes to use SRV lookups?

If you have an answer for this, we can make it optional, and moreover we can deploy SRV for HTTP as well.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net