Re: [v6ops] 6to4v2 (as in ripv2)?

2011-07-27 10:35:46

On 27 Jul 2011, at 16:15, Mark Andrews wrote:

Because it will come down to "run 6to4 and be exposed to some bug"
or "not run 6to4 but be safe from the bug".  We already have vendors
saying they are thinking about pulling 6to4 from their code bases
if it becomes historic.

I would note that RIPE-501 does not mention 6to4:
        http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-501
As far as I can see, it only mentions RFC4213.

I would ask what is the alternative if as Mark suggests the vendors begin
removing 6to4 support?
a) use 6to4 anyway on an open platform like OpenWRT
b) use a tunnel broker - this works much better through NATs and with dynamic
IPv4 addresses
c) use your $work VPN if it supports IPv6, which it could/should if your
company values IPv6
d) get IPv6 from your ISP, or move to one that has it if yours does not

I suspect, but have no proof, that the huge majority of 6to4 users don't use it
intentionally, and the content they are trying to reach is also available over
IPv4. But for people who want to develop and use new IPv6-specific apps, then
either a broker or something like OpenWRT ought to meet their needs?

Tim