Re: [v6ops] 6to4v2 (as in ripv2)?

2011-07-28 11:58:38
On 2011-07-27 20:21 , Keith Moore wrote:
On Jul 27, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Tim Chown wrote:

I suspect, but have no proof, that the huge majority of 6to4 users don't use
it intentionally, and the content they are trying to reach is also available
over IPv4. But for people who want to develop and use new IPv6-specific
apps, then either a broker or something like OpenWRT ought to meet their
needs?

tunnel brokers suck if the tunnel endpoint isn't near your current network
location.

Let me rewrite that sentence for you:

 "transition mechanisms suck if the tunnel endpoint isn't near your
current network location"

It does not matter much if that mechanism is static proto-41 (6in4),
6to4, AYIYA, TSP, PPTP, HTTP Proxies or whatever, there is going to be a
bit more latency if they are not directly next to you. Not much you can
do about except deploy more of them or

And this will always be the case unless you deploy enough of them in all
places possible. For SixXS we are at 48 boxes around the world,
Hurricane has 25 and Gogo6 has 4 of them of their own for Freenet6 and
then there are 4 others at other organizations and there are a couple of
other services out there which provide tunnels see:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers

there are currently no universally applicable, or even widely applicable,
v6-over-v4 solutions.

For your set of requirements maybe but especially Tunnel Brokers are
working very well for a lot of people and if one sees the traffic stats
on Teredo and 6to4 nodes due to this little thing called NNTP I would
state that those are doing quite fine too for giving access to what
people need to get to.

Your major requirement seems to involve latency though, thus as such,
there is only one thing to do, get one of those boxes deployed locally
to your endpoint.

Do note to yourself that the next issue you will run into that the
service you are actually contacting will be far away, and you suddenly
understand that you need that Akamai content box and a Google one and
various other closeby too ;)

If you want to solve your problem though, I guess for HE you'll have to
give them connectivity to their network and space in a rack for a box,
gogo6 will sell you a box and for SixXS you provide the box+connectivity
and we'll set up the software for free for you and handle the tunneling
completely.

Greets,
 Jeroen