Re: IPv6 traffic distribution

2011-07-29 09:13:12

Le 29 juil. 2011 à 15:51, Joel Jaeggli a écrit :

On Jul 29, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Rémi Després wrote:

Le 28 juil. 2011 à 08:07, Michel Py a écrit :

James,

If I remember correctly, you mentioned a bit ago that your job required
you had native IPv6 at home.

Question: Does an ISP providing you IPv6 out of the CPE box (meaning,
without any software other than dual-stack on the hosts) qualify as
native IPv6 if, behind the scenes, they use a tunnel broker, or 6rd?

Facts are AFAIK that:
- Tunnel brokers need host cooperation. They can't be used behind the scene
by ISP's.
- 6rd can indeed be used behind the scene by ISP's, without users making the
difference with native IPv6 routing in ISP networks. This has been proven on
a large scale over 3.5 years.

I would suspect that there's nothing that prevents an isp running it's own
tunnel broker and a compliant cpe from automating that process in much the
same way that 6rd in free required control over the firmware.

Fair enough, that's a technical possibility.

the business case for doing so seems like an exercise for the reader.

Exactly, I doubt any ISP would do that, in view of the compared simplicity of
6rd.
If that would be used, customers would have native prefixes for which they
ignore that ISP-network traversal has bee tunneled.

Regards,
RD