Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-07-31 20:16:11
On 2011-07-27 00:52, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

Based on the discussion I've updated the draft:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kolkman-iasa-ex-officio-membership

Essentially I incorporated Dave Crocker's proposal to
1) replace the 'chairs' by voting members appointed by the respective bodies.
2) allow the chairs to participate in all meetings and provide (unsolicited)
advice.

I believe that allows chairs to exercise their responsibilities of keeping a
coherent perspective of the organization an allow them to steer outcomes if
needed, but doesn't require the day-to-day involvement that is required from
a diligent voting member.

And it therefore removes the two Chairs' shared responsibility for decisions of
the IAOC and the IETF Trust. I am still far from convinced that this is a good
thing.

Also, the new section 2.3, which is incorrectly titled but presumably
is intended to be "IETF Trust membership" seems to me to be inconsistent
with the Trust Agreement. The Trust Agreement states that the Eligible Persons
(to become Trustees) are each "a then-current member of the IAOC, duly appointed
and in good standing in accordance with the procedures of the IAOC established
pursuant to IETF document BCP 101 [as amended]". That doesn't exclude the
non-voting members of the IAOC, which is why the IAD is already a Trustee.
To change this, the Trust would have to change the Trust Agreement. To be clear,
I'm not saying this can't be done, but it can't be ignored either.

    Brian