Re: Drafts Submissions cut-off

2011-08-01 13:56:05
On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 02:31:13PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

I suggest that this is a sub-optimal state of affairs. I see two solutions:

1) Codify the requirement that materials to be discussed at the meeting must
be submitted before the cut-off and that submissions made during meetings
are strictly limited to revisions occurring after and between WG sessions.
[Except in exceptional circumstances with AD approval]

2) Eliminate the 2 week cut off completely.

Speaking as a WG chair but only for myself, I am opposed to either of
these two options.

(1) makes it impossible for Chairs to say, "We had a really good
discussion between the cut-off and the queue re-opening.  The editors
think they got it; please check the new text against the discussion
and be prepared to nail this down in the meeting."  It's not optimal,
but sometimes (should be rarely) qthings get done this way, and I
don't want Even More Process Police Rules to get in the way.  I
especially don't want anything more gated on the AD during IETF week.
Chairs have to ensure this rule isn't abused, and if it is then the
right thing to do is complain about WG management, not invent more
rules.

(2) means that nothing will be published in time for people to be
prepared.

I'm sensitive to the problem that is being raised here, but I think
these two options are both bad ways to solve that.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com