Re: Last Call: <draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-05.txt> (Considerationsfor Having a Successful "Bar BOF" Side Meeting) to Informational RFC

2011-08-18 00:02:02
At 01:38 17-08-2011, John C Klensin wrote:
The problem is that RFCs are forever.  RFCs subjected to IETF
Last Call and published in the IETF Stream --especially ones
that advise on IETF processes-- are also official, at least in
the sense of representing some level of community consensus and
IESG approval.  Publishing this document in the RFC Series runs
a considerable risk of causing (or at least reinforcing) exactly
the situation the it argues against -- creating a permanent
structure of meetings for which "informal" is as much of a
misnomer as "bar BOF" has become.

What's problematic is saying that the document represents IETF Consensus as it is going to misinterpreted and end up encouraging an IETF trilogy. It wouldn't be the authors' fault; it's more about no longer having an appropriate path for publishing well-written documents such as draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof.

Let me give two examples of the problem with the understanding
that there are more:

        * If we have an official-looking, cast-in-RFC-stone,
        discussion of what "success" means for an informal
        meeting, it means that the IETF has established success
        criteria for a meeting type that we simultaneously claim
        is not part of the WG-formation or consensus processes.
        One really can't have it both ways and, in that sense,
        the document reinforces the "first you need a mailing
        list, then a Bar-BOF (sic) or two, then a "real" BOF (or
        two), ..." trend.

This is where the FYI would have been useful. The document discusses about an IETF matter, Bar BoFs without drinks [sic]. Publishing it in another stream would be a "political" decision. Explaining how to hold informal meetings formalizes such events. With the "Note Well" (Section 6), the meeting is far from an informal one.

I suggest removing Section 6 as that topic is BCP material.

(2) Just say "no".  Once upon a time, we had a relatively strict
rule against any IETF-related open (or semi-open, or publicly
announced)  meetings in the IETF venue unless those meetings
were either on the agenda or a formal IETF group.  That was in
the time when Bar-BoFs (and Bar-Design-Teams, and
Bar-other-things) were held in Bars, with Bar-sized groups, and
those were not considered meetings of any type.   We could do
that again -- forcing pre-charter meetings into other venues
would at least reinforce the message that they weren't WG
meetings of unchartered WGs.

Yes.

(4) Make it clear that any claims of consensus arising from an
informal meeting would not only be ignored, but would cause BOF
or WG proposals from the leadership of that information meeting
to be discarded on the grounds that the people were clueless and
incapable of working within the IETF.   Taking these "unofficial
BOF" discussions seriously merely reinforces their misuse.

Yes.