Re: Last Call: <draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-05.txt> (Considerationsfor Having a Successful "Bar BOF" Side Meeting) to Informational RFC

2011-08-16 14:11:45
On 8/15/11 4:40 PM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
I have been looking at various revisions of this draft since -00. I'm
glad Lars did the first version during IETF 77, and I'm glad that Lars
and Gonzalo kept working on it.

I think it's important guidance for the community. I think it's on the
right track. I think it could reasonably be published in its current form.

I have some suggestions.

Frivolous: I TOTALLY get the "don't call it a Bar BOF" thing.

Keeping with the natural human tendency to fixate on the frivolous, I'll
take the bait.

"Hey boss, I need to go to the IETF meeting in Taipei, we're holding a
BoF about Technology X." "Is that a real BoF or a bar BoF?" "Just a BoF,
you'll authorize the travel, right?"

"We're holding a BoF this week on Technology X." "Sounds interesting,
but I don't see it on the schedule. Is that a real BoF or a bar BoF?"
"It's a bar BoF, but sorry, no bar!"

"Mr. AD, we deserve to have a BoF about Technology X. We've already held
two bar BoFs so it's time for the real deal. You'll approve the request,
right?"

Etc.

Worst of all, usually there's no bar involved at all! :)

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/