Re: AD review of draft-ietf-krb-wg-otp-preauth

2011-08-18 16:27:29
"Simon" == Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org> writes:

    Simon> Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> writes:
    >> Actually, I have a question about interoperability here.
    >>
    >> It's my assumption that a client of this specification needs to
    >> implement basically all the options:
    >>
    >> * encrypted OTP values and values used for key derivation *
    >> separate pins and pins that are together * at least 4 pass mode
    >>
    >> So that the server has flexibility to implement what its OTP
    >> token requires.
    >>
    >> Are people assuming that it is acceptable to implement a client
    >> that only implements the facilities needed by one particular OTP
    >> token?

    Simon> Yes, and I believe that is unavoidable -- there is no way to
    Simon> properly test all features of any implementation without
    Simon> having some OTP token that excercises each feature.

OK.  That makes me very uncomfortable.  As an individual I'd prefer that
this draft not be published without a mandatory-to-implement subset.
My assumption was that the client needed to implement everything.
If that's not globally held I think we have much more work to do.

Please consider this an individual last call comment, not as a comment
as a chair.