Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC

2011-08-22 16:56:56

On 8/19/11 3:42 PM, "SM" <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:

At 09:10 19-08-2011, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space'
  <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> as an
Informational
RFC

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2011-09-16. Exceptionally, comments
may be

The draft only mentions an applicability and justification for Shared
Transition Space and references
draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space-00.  While the policy fits
under RIR community processes, it does not fit under allocations made
for technical specifications.  Publishing this document on the
grounds that the ARIN wants it is not a good enough reason.  Will
ARIN be "donating" the /10 IPv4 address space to IANA for it to make
this allocation?
This proposal reached ARIN consensus (2011-5), and has been recommended
for adoption to the ARIN board. The ARIN BoD has indicated that it is
willing to reserve a /10 if asked to do so by the IETF/IANA.

The draft mentions that:

  "Network equipment manufacturers MUST NOT use the
   assigned block in default or example device configurations."

As the IPv4 address block is not specified in the document, the above
requirement cannot be followed.  The expectation that the IPv4
address block will only be used by Infrastructure Providers is
optimistic.
This will be supplied by IANA in consultation with ARIN.  ARIN has not
pre-announced what block might be used, so we need to wait until IANA gets
back to us later in the process.

RFC 5735 covers Special Use IPv4 Addresses.  This
document should update the BCP.
Once we get an assignment from IANA/ARIN, we'll look into updating RFC
5735.

A proposal similar to this one was discussed in a V6OPS meeting in
Asia.  If my reading is correct, it did not gain consensus.  The
proposal gets discussed in North America in
OPSAWG and it gains consensus.
Not quite right. We first brought this proposal to OPSAWG in Maastricht,
and then updated it for Beijing.  From the opsawg (79) minutes:
Straw poll: more people in the room supported the draft than didn't,
perhaps 2:1. About half the room expressed an opinion.

Because IANA was down to its final /8, we were asked to also present in
v6ops, which did not reach consensus for or against. Feedback from v6ops
was to approach the RIRs for space, rather than IANA, which we did.

BTW, this draft contains only 220
lines, including boilerplate and it has five authors.
How is this relevant? Jason, Victor, and I have been working on this for
over a year.  Chris L and Marla joined the author team with significant
contributions when we substantially updated the draft prior to IETF79.

Chris

Regards,
-sm