Re: https

2011-08-26 08:44:25
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:39 AM, t.petch <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>
wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "SM" <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net>
To: "t.petch" <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>
Cc: "IETF Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: https

Hi Tom,
At 00:18 26-08-2011, t.petch wrote:
Besides all the usual hassle of TLS, today the certificate is
reported by IE as
expired, which sort of sums it up.

Already reported to ietf-action@.

Regards,
-sm

P.S. My experience of ietf-action@ is that they are responsive and do
fix problems that are reported.

Yup, but why are we using https at all?  Who decided, and please would they
undecide?  Unexpired certificates can be circumvented, but all too often, the
https parts of the web site just do not work and, more importantly, I think it
wrong to use industrial grade security where none is called for.

The mail archives (and the minutes of the physical meetings) are the
official record of the Working Groups, IETF, etc. Those archives
should be available with a reasonably high level of integrity and
authenticity.

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

Tom Petch