Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-krb-wg-otp-preauth-18

2011-08-29 08:58:39
  <gareth(_dot_)richards(_at_)rsa(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> > Why should we require that alg-ids be registered URIs?
    >>
    >> That's not my concern - the existing first paragraph of the IANA
    >> considerations section in the draft requires IANA registration
    >> (or at least tries to) by pointing to the PSKC registry.  My
    >> concern is that if this is going to be done, it needs to be done
    >> right (duh!), and the current text is insufficient. Please take
    >> the issue of whether to use IANA for this purpose up with Gareth
    >> and the WG.
    >>
    >> > I have no problem with the IETF registering its algorithms
    >> there, or us > encouraging people to register them there, but
    >> it's a URI. What purpose > is served by forcing registration?
    >>
    >> Hmm - more than one URI for the same algorithm might cause
    >> interoperability problems.

g>Some form of identifier will be required for the otp-algID in the
PA-OTP-CHALLENGE and the PA-OTP-REQUEST and from what I remember about when
this was first discussed, it was agreed that it would make sense to use the
registry of identifiers already being established for PSKC rather than produce
a duplicate one.  My assumption was that a registry would be required to ensure
that the URIs were unique.

I don't really care so just fix the current text to resolve David's
concern.  My point was simply that whatever spec tells you how to use
some algorithm with Kerberos can provide a unique URI and I'm
unconvinced that it matters where that URI is drawn so long as everyone
agrees on the URI.  Having a registry for everything the IETF does is
fine; reusing an existing registry is better.  Constraining what
non-IETF people do seems kind of silly but they will not listen to us
anyway, so no harm is done.