RE: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-29 07:03:47
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Eric Rescorla
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

I find that I work more effectively when I have computer and Internet
available

WEG] Me too, emphasis on the Internet. And this is exactly the reason why I
simply don't buy the "just find a cheaper hotel instead of the IETF one"
argument as the only solution for people put off by the price of the main
hotel. Those staying in hotels with non-IETF internet access find that the
combination of some non-trivial number of heavy internet users plus
underprovisioned wireless, DHCP pool, and uplink, lack of IPv6 support + NAT =
internet service that is somewhere between annoyingly crappy and unusably
crappy.

While I am somewhat sensitive to hotel price, for me, first-class internet
service in my hotel room is worth a small bump in price so that I don't have to
spend hours before and after sessions are over squatting in the conference area
or hotel common area to get a decent connection to get work done. If you're
willing to make that tradeoff in the interest of cheaper hotel, more power to
you, but given the number of complaints about Delta's network in QC, I think
that this is something that people tend to forget until they get there... (and
before you say anything, I realize that Delta was the official overflow hotel,
but I think the point is still valid).

I'll also note that I don't think that it's strictly necessary for the hotel
and conference center to be connected. I thought that the arrangement in
Stockholm was quite nice.

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.