Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-28 00:06:21
On 8/27/2011 10:30 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 8/27/2011 7:48 AM, Cullen Jennings wrote:

What I have heard is that the community would prefer going to locations
that were easy to travel to over "interesting".

How do you reconcile this assertion against the clearly positive group
reactions to Prague and Quebec?

FYI, in relative terms, even Minneapolis is second-tier.

I have no idea what the "community" wants--and I'm not convinced that
the data we
have available lets us assess that, for the usual reasons about the
difficulty of doing
accurate surveying--but speaking solely for myself, I'm at IETF to
work, so my priorities
center around the things that make it easy to get work done. This
basically boils down
to cost  and convenience.

Good to hear.  Getting rid of cookies can save a _lot_ of money & since
you're "at IETF to work" I'm sure you wouldn't mind if the conditions
more closely approximated those of the typical office; no office I've
ever worked in has provided free cookies & beverages twice a day...

Within these general parameters, my priorities are something like:
1. Cost:
    - Travel
    - Hotel

Rationale: airfare tends to not be that flexible, but it's generally
possible to find a cheaper
hotel if you try (as several people have observed). However, if the
conference hotel
is $300/night, then this is probably going to trickle down some into
cheaper hotels so
it's not like hotel doesn't matter.

2. Convenience:
    - Length of trip.
    - Local services

Rationale: travel time is time I'm not working (yeah, we all try, but
I'm not that effective
and I suspect most people are not.) Lack of local services means less
time meeting
and more time rushing around trying to find lunch before the next
meeting, walking to
and from the hotel, etc.

So, do you live in your office?  Next door to the building?  Across the
street from the office park?  If not, why are you applying criteria to
the IETF "workplace" that you don't to everyday employment?  For that
matter, for one whose (not primary, but _only_) purpose is work, finding
lunch is a non-problem: you simply eat whatever is closest, quickest,
most efficient, without any regard to taste or surroundings (e.g., the
company cafeteria, analogous in this case to the hotel restaurant(s)).
WRT walking to and from the hotel, I know that I, at least, am not paid
to type (if I was, my clients would be getting a really bad deal ;-).  I
get paid to think, and I'm pretty sure that you are, too.  I don't know
you very well, but I think it's a sure bet that you can think & walk at
the same time :-).