Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-22 19:30:50
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Ray Pelletier <rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org>
wrote:

On Aug 22, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:

Hi folks -

I just reserved with the hotel and was quite surprised at the
cancellation policy.

Could you please confirm - Cancel before 1 Nov - no charge, 1-7 Nov 1
night, after 7 Nov full amount?

As stated on the meeting site:  <http://www.ietf.org/meeting/82/hotel.html

Guest Cancellation: Individuals may cancel reservations without penalty
until 7 days prior to scheduled check-in/arrival. In case of cancellation
between 3 and 7 days prior to scheduled check-in/arrival, the Hotel holds
the right to charge the individuals one night’s stay as a cancellation fee.
In case of cancellation less than 3 days prior to the scheduled
check-in/arrival or non-arrival or no-show, the Hotel holds the right to
charge the individuals for the entire scheduled stay as a cancellation fee.

We strive at each meeting to get the best cancellation policies that we
can, looking for a 1 day cancellation penalty for a cancellation.  Often, in
Asia and Europe in particular, they will not agree to this. We did negotiate
this pretty heavily to get the terms we now have.  Originally, the hotel
wanted to the entire stay to be charged for cancellation or no-show at the
cut-off date (26 October).

While this may only a solution for some, names may be substituted without
penalty up to the event.

Guest Substitution: Guests may substitute names for reserved rooms without
penalty up to the event.

This sounds like a good use of the Attendees list. Anyone with reservations
who can't come should publicize it - I am sure that there will be  people
who want to come but can't get reservations.

Regards
Marshall

Ray

Seriously?  This is extreme. I can understand a 1 day fee up to the date
of the reservation and maybe even charging the full amount if I don't
cancel, but paying $1500+ because I had to cancel at the last moment seems a
bit confiscatory.

Mike