Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-22 19:15:33

On Aug 22, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:

Hi folks -

I just reserved with the hotel and was quite surprised at the cancellation
policy.

Could you please confirm - Cancel before 1 Nov - no charge, 1-7 Nov 1 night,
after 7 Nov full amount?

As stated on the meeting site:  <http://www.ietf.org/meeting/82/hotel.html>

Guest Cancellation: Individuals may cancel reservations without penalty until 7
days prior to scheduled check-in/arrival. In case of cancellation between 3 and
7 days prior to scheduled check-in/arrival, the Hotel holds the right to charge
the individuals one night’s stay as a cancellation fee. In case of cancellation
less than 3 days prior to the scheduled check-in/arrival or non-arrival or
no-show, the Hotel holds the right to charge the individuals for the entire
scheduled stay as a cancellation fee.

We strive at each meeting to get the best cancellation policies that we can,
looking for a 1 day cancellation penalty for a cancellation.  Often, in Asia
and Europe in particular, they will not agree to this. We did negotiate this
pretty heavily to get the terms we now have.  Originally, the hotel wanted to
the entire stay to be charged for cancellation or no-show at the cut-off date
(26 October).

While this may only a solution for some, names may be substituted without
penalty up to the event.

Guest Substitution: Guests may substitute names for reserved rooms without
penalty up to the event.

Ray

Seriously?  This is extreme. I can understand a 1 day fee up to the date of
the reservation and maybe even charging the full amount if I don't cancel,
but paying $1500+ because I had to cancel at the last moment seems a bit
confiscatory.

Mike