Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-24 15:12:41

On 8/24/2011 12:28 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
 I feel that a lot of
concerns have been raised, and I don't find the responses very
convincing.

As the new guy on the IAOC block, I'm still learning the complexities of IETF venue planning.

Perhaps you can list the concerns that have been raised and -- as an efficiency filter -- are shared among a significant base of the community?

It would also help to see what responses have been offered and what is unsatisfactory about them.

When I've looked into issues with the IAOC, I haven't found
the visibility necessary to really evaluate things.

The issue of transparency/visibility has been raised a couple of times in this thread. While I understand it as a general concept, I'm not clear how to apply it pragmatically here.

I don't understand what folks should be done differently /in specific/ that would continue to permit a practical process of event planning. To use an extreme example: A completely fishbowl model of administrative process, in which every discussion and decision is explored under full view of the entire community, is not practical.

d/

ps. As a personal aside, I'll note that I've lobbied rather vigorously for venues that entail less travel effort, by eliminating the additional hop needed to get from a major hub. Note that that has gotten essentially zero support from the community. The community has vigrously expressed a preference for "interesting" venues rather than ones that are chosen solely for logistics convenience.

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking