Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-24 16:31:17

On 24 Aug 2011, at 21:58, Donald Eastlake wrote:

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Geoff Mulligan
<geoff(_dot_)ietf(_at_)mulligan(_dot_)com> wrote:

You could pick Rosemont, IL (next to O'hare) for every meeting (oops,
sorry - misses on decent food).

Minneapolis or Chicago, one place doesn't make it. The policy of the
IETF has been to meet where the attendees come from, although with
some projection into the future. So I thought we were currently trying
to equalize meetings in North America, Europe, and Asia. So it is an
absolute minimum of three places.

That's a fair point, and the three region split is in principle the right thing
to do.  But I think Taipei's prices are the highest I've seen for the venue
hotel, and the organising committee should take note of the comments about
that, and the cancellation policy, for future venue selections.

I am also a fan of Minneapolis.  I just looked at Hilton IETF venue prices
there for the IETF82 week.  There are king rooms under $200 a night direct from
the hotel with a good cancellation policy, and that's without any negotiated
price.  That's a $500-$600 difference in cost over the 5-6 nights people would
typically stay.

I'm interested in how much sponsors contribute, and how that compares to $500
less in hotel fees over a week times 1,200 attendees.

The Hilton Prague also has rooms at $200 the same week.

The idea of exploring a university campus is an interesting one.

Tim