RE: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

2011-08-24 08:35:21

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Keith Moore
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:37 AM
To: Ray Pelletier
Cc: John C Klensin; Secretariat IETF; IETF-Discussion list; Lixia Zhang
Subject: Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

$300/night is far too high a ceiling for a guest room rate.  A more reasonable
ceiling would be in the ballpark of $150.

I don't understand why we keep throwing around hard and fast dollar figures.
Every person, whether paying their own way or using a corporate expense account
is going to have a different view of what is ok vs what is unacceptably high,
and that may or may not line up with the market rate reality of the actual
location chosen. As others have pointed out in the past, the only limit that
would make sense is to use something like the US gov't max travel rate
guidelines, which are indexed to things like USD value vs. local currency,
average cost by location, etc. We would likely need a percentage multiplier to
compensate for the fact that we ask for breakfast, internet service, and
conference fees to be waived in lieu of a cheaper hotel rate, but I think
that's a reasonable rule of thumb. If there are alternative sources for the
same data from EU or APAC government sources, they could also be used, but lots
of folks already know about the US gov ones.
US domestic rates are here: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/21287
International ones here:
http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?content_id=184&menu_id=78

If this becomes the stated policy, it makes available the negotiation tactic to
note that "we have a lot of members who follow the guidelines set forth here as
far as how much they are allowed to spend per night for a hotel, if you insist
on exceeding this by more than X%, we'll be forced to go elsewhere. "

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.